Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABT) are a favorite among BBQ buffs. This simple to prepare appetizer will sure be a hit with guests at you next get together.
What You’ll Need:
- One dozen whole jalapenos
- One 8oz container of cream cheese
- Two dozen slices of thick cut bacon
- BBQ rub [optional]
- Toothpicks [optional]
- Roasted diced New Mexico green chiles [optional]
- Put out the cream cheese to soften.
- Mash/mix the cream cheese in a bowl to add air and make it easier to stuff.
- Half the jalapenos leaving the stem.
- With a spoon scrape out the seeds and veins, then rinse with water.
- Fill each jalapeno half with cream cheese, making sure to not overfill past the rim.
- Starting at the bottom, wrap each stuffed jalapeno with bacon, add a toothpick to hold it together.
- Lightly dust with you favorite BBQ rub.
- Place ABT’s in the smoker till bacon is crisp (~250F). They can easily be done over indirect heat on a charcoal grill or in a oven. (Not recommended: you will lose that wonderful smokey flavor)
New Mexico ABT Variation
Simply add some diced roasted New Mexico green chiles into the cream cheese before stuffing.